Is it legal to purchase a slot machine for personal use?
Do you want to buy a slot machine? If so, you’re not alone. Slot machines are available by the truck loads in the United States and other parts of the world. Some people like to collect slot machines while others want one for their games room, similar to owning an arcade game. This page covers where to buy a slot machine as well as whether it’s legal to own one. Below you will find dedicated pages to a number of companies that sell refurbished slot machine games. You can find the contact information by clicking the link along with what types of slot machines are available for purchase.
(* We do not guarantee the product or services provided by the companies listed below. This is simply a directory of where to purchase slot machine games.*)
Where to Buy Used / Refurbished Slot Machines
- Old Time Slots - (734) 475 – 9730 (quick replies via email)
- Slot Machines USA - (513) 262-2370
- Wee Chin Electric Machinery Inc. - + 886 7 788 4949
- Bright's Antique Slot Machines - (703)-960-1071
- L.A. Slots Machine Co., Inc. - (310) 297-9797
- San Diego Antique Slot Machines - (619) 275-2329
Is it legal to own a slot machine game?
Owning a Slot Machine in Canada - This depends on where you live. For example Canada does not have any laws against importing a slot machine, however they do have laws preventing you from owning a working machine. Unless you have a gaming license you will have to have your slot machine deactivated to prevent being charged under Canada’s Criminal Code (section 202 – 1 –b)
202. (1) Every one commits an offence who (b) imports, makes, buys, sells, rents, leases, hires or keeps, exhibits, employs or knowingly allows to be kept, exhibited or employed in any place under his control any device or apparatus for the purpose of recording or registering bets or selling a pool, or any machine or device for gambling or betting;
Owning a Slot Machine in the United States - The United States is an entirely different kind of beast. Each State has the ability to decide whether it is legal to purchase a working or deactivated machine. Even then, you might be limited to a certain era of machines for the game to be legally purchased for home use. For example; Alabama does not allow citizens to own slot machines under Code of Ala 13A.12-27, whereas Georgia permits owning a slot machine, however it’s a felony to own a slot machine Pre 1950 under O.C.G.A. 16-12-24. The list below are each States laws regarding owning a gaming machine. We do try to be accurate with the information published on this site, we still advise players to check their local laws first before making a purchase.
- Alabama – It is illegal to own a gaming machine in Alabama. See Code of Ala 13A.12-27
- Alaska – It is legal to own a slot machine in Alaska. No conditions.
- Arizona – It is legal to own a slot machine in Arizona. No conditions apply. See Code ARS 13-3309
- Arkansas - All gaming machines are legal to own in Arkansas
- California – It is legal to own a slot machine in California, however CA penal code requires the game to be at least 25 years or older. See CA Penal Code 330.7
- Colorado – It is legal to own a slot machine in Colorado, however the game must be released prior to 1984. See Code of Ala 13A.12-27
- Connecticut – It is illegal to own a slot machine in Connecticut. See CT Gen. Stat. 53-278a
- Delaware – The State of Delaware permits owning a slot machine, so long as the game is 25 years or older. See 28 Del 904
- Florida – It is legal to own a slot machine in Florida. The game must be 20 years or older. See Fla. Stat. 849.235
- Georgia – Georgia permits slot machine purchases pre 1950. See O.C.G.A. 16-12-24
- Hawaii – It is illegal to own a slot machine in Hawaii.
- Idaho – It is legal to own a slot machine in Idaho, however the game must have been in production pr 1950. See Idaho Code 18-3810
- Illinois – You can purchase a slot machine for home use in Illinois, however the game must be at least 20 years old. See 720 ILCS 5/28-1
- Indiana – Indiana does not allow people to purchase gaming machines. See Ind. Code 35-45-5-4
- Iowa - You can own a legal slot machine in Iowa, however the game must be 25 years or older. See Iowa Code 725.9
- Kansas – It is legal to own a slot machine or gaming device in Kansas as long as the game is pre 1950. See KSA 21-4306
- Kentucky – There are no restrictions on owning slot machines in Kentucky. See KRS 528.080
- Louisiana – Louisiana has the same laws as Kansas. Owning a slot machine is legal here as long as the game is 25 years or older. See La.R.S. 15:31.1
- Maine – All gaming machines are legal in Maine.
- Maryland – Maryland requires the gaming device be at least 25 years or older. See MD Code Art. 27 264B
- Massachusetts – This state requires the machine to be 30 years or older to be considered a legal gaming device. See MA Laws Ch 271, 5A
- Michigan – Owning a slot machine is legal in Michigan if the game is 25 years or older. See MCL 750.303
- Minnesota – All slot machine devices are legal in Minnesota.
- Mississippi – Machines are legal in Mississippi if the game is 25 years or older. See Code Ann. 27-27-12
- Missouri – Gaming machines are legal in Missouri if the game is at least 30 years or older. See572.125 R.S. Mo.
- Montana – Montana permits the purchase of gaming machines which are at least 25 years or older. See Code Ann. 23-5-153
- Nebraska – You cannot own a slot machine of any kind in the State of Nebraska. See R.R.S. Neb. 28-1107
- Nevada – All gaming machines are legal to own in the State of Nevada.
- New Hampshire – Slot machines must be at least 25 years or older to own in New Hampshire. See R.S.A. 647:2
- New Jersey - It is legal to own a slot machine in New Jersey, however the game must be pre 1941. See N.J. Stat. 2C:37-7
- New Mexico – You cannot own a slot machine in New Mexico. Per Attorney Gen. '00
- New York – You can purchase a legal slot machine in New York if the game is at least 30 years or older. See N.Y. CLS Penal 225.32
- North Carolina – North Carolina allows home owners to purchase slot machines if the game is at least 25 years or older. See Gen. Stat. 14-309.1
- North Dakota – You can legally own a slot game in North Dakota if the game is at least 25 years or older. See Code 12.1-28-02
- Ohio – Ohio has no restrictions on owning slot machines for personal use.
- Oklahoma - Oklahoma allows the purchase of slot machines for personal use if the game is at least 25 years or older. See 21 Okl. St. 964
- Oregon – The laws in Oregon are the same as Oklahoma. The game must be at least 25 years or older. See ORS 167.147
- Pennsylvania – You can own a slot machine in this State as long as the game is pre 1941. See 18 Pa.C.S. 5513
- Rhode Island – All gaming machines are legal in the State of Rhode Island.
- South Carolina – You cannot own a gaming machine for personal use in South Carolina. See Code Ann 12-21-2710
- South Dakota – South Dakota permits slot machine purchases if the game is at least 25 years or older. See Cod. Laws 22-25-14.1
- Tennessee – All gaming devices are illegal in the state of Tennessee for personal use. See Code Ann. 39-17-505
- Texas – All games are legal in Texas.
- Utah – All games are legal in Utah.
- Vermont – To purchase a slot machine for personal use in the State of Vermont, requires the game be pre 1954. See 13 V.S.A. 2135
- Virginia – All slot machines are legal in the state of Virginia
- Washington – In order to purchase a gaming device for personal use in the State of Washington, the game must be dated at least 25 years. See Rev. Code 9.46.235
- Washington DC – Games must be in production prior to 1952 in order to qualify as a legal slot machine for personal use.
- West Virginia – All machines are legal in West Virginia.
- Wisconsin – You cannot own a slot machine in the state of Wisconsin.
- Wyoming 25 years or older Wyo. Stat. 6-7-101